The following video is of a lecture that I just gave this past Thursday titled, “The Dangers of Extremism,” which was given at the Dearborn Community Center/Masjid As-Salam.
The talked touched on the following:
1) The ideological similarities of those extremist Muslims who kill fellow Muslims in this time with the “Khawarij” who martyred Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (KW) approximately 1,300 years ago.
2) The meaning of the hadeeth, “Whoever changes his religion, kill him,” and its meaning that is related to committing treason not simply changing ideology to aethism or Christianity.
3) The agreement/covenant that American Muslims have in protecting the society.
4) Al-Islam’s position against vigilantism.
5) The sanctity of all human life.
6) Steps to take in reporting persons’ coming to mosques or over the internet using extreme rhetoric irrespective if the persons are authentic extremists or informants.
7) The responsibility that all Muslims have to be informants regarding seeing any criminal activity going on in society.
8) The sacred command that Muslims have been given not to spy in persons’ private matters and affairs.
9) Productive ways of challenging bad governmental policies such as being civically engaged and speaking up against injustices per the hadeeth, “The best struggle [jihad] is to speak a word of truth/justice to an oppressive leader[ship].”